Written by Marykate O’Malley, mother of three wonderful children, Gladwyne, PA
I was once discussing the very serious and controversial subject of detergent with another mom when she said, “you know, clean doesn’t have a smell”. I have pondered that for years. And it is true, it doesn’t. But somehow when I come home and smell Murphy’s Oil Soap, it does smell clean. And signals that someone just cleaned the floors which is wonderful, wonderful. An association yes, but one I relish.
Here are a few of my favorite household scents:
- Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day – I adore her products. My favorites – all of them. My favorite, favorites – the lavender counter spray and basil counter spray. And the geranium. And then the lemon. I also love her lavender laundry detergent. It feels like a little luxury to opt out of Tide, another scent I love, for this.
- I am a big fan of Seventh Generation products. I just discovered the Citrus hand soap, it is a wonderful scent, fresh and not too overpowering. And it has a great consistency too, not too light and watered down but also not too soapy. You know what I mean?
- Molton Brown hand wash sets – yes, I know, a lot to spend on hand wash. That aside, it is divine. And it feels like a mini spa trip every time you wash your hands and moisturize.
- For the bathroom, I discovered Method Eucalyptus Mint a couple of years ago and haven’t turned back.
- For body butter – no one does it better than Zoet Bathlatier. My favorite – Sweet Orange and Ylang Ylang. My favorite soap – Oats, Cassia & Clove – subtle nutty scent. And then my favorite candle – The Gray’s Lane named for an exquisitely beautiful online magazine featuring my much beloved Main Line!
- A very dear friend gave me a Latco candle as a gift, and no candle has been the same since.
- And then the classics, I love my Muphy’s Oil Soap, Bounce and Tide – full of all kinds of parabens I am sure but it does wonders with the grass stains on my son’s baseball pants. Somehow when it comes to stains, the all natural becomes less important.
- I also love Dreft, it takes me back to when my babies were babies. Sigh.
- Trader Joe’s has a great lavender hand soap. If you are sensing a pattern, you are correct, and observant. I love lavender.
And the products that don’t have a scent.
- I use Seventh Generation free and clear dish-wash. I don’t need my dishes to smell. And if anything, I don’t think I want them to have a scent. When I consider what is in some dish detergents and the residue it can leave, the streams it pollutes, what ends up in our bodies – I like to keep these products natural and pure. I think about all of this just enough to be aware, but not too much that I become neurotic.
- I like Trader Joe’s automatic dish detergent – another scentless and just the good stuff product.
- I have friends who use vinegar on their hardwood floors. Something I haven’t tried. I am thinking it doesn’t smell, does it?
Your turn! What are yours?
Share this post
You might like...
Category: Activities, Brilliant, Cookin', For Moms, For The Home, Garden, Gear, Girl Time, Home Tours, Kitchen, Kitchen Gadgets, Kitchen Pantry, Mission Control, Momzone, On The Floor Clothes, Organizing, Random and Fun, Toys and Gift Ideas, Wondermom Resources