written by Cathy Baker, mom of two amazing girls, from Missouri
This morning I walked into the bathroom and remembered an article I’ve been meaning to write! About a year or so ago, we discovered something that has added a lot of fun to our everyday routines! Let’s just call it “mirror graffiti”. For example, this is what I found in my daughters’ bathroom this morning.
Sweet messages from sister to sister like “You are smart.” “I love you.” Division and Multipication Math Problems…for fun! (crazy kids, I know!)
These days Craoyla sells window markers and window crayons. Note: I think the markers clean up easier than crayons. Although my favorite are good ole Expo Markers on the mirrors! While the colors are not quite as vibrant, they are much easier to clean up!
Here are some of the things we have written on bathroom mirrors this past year…
- Fill in the blanks…At top of the mirror write something like “Snow days are for…” or “Weekends are for…” or “Summer Vacations are for…” and let everyone add ideas to the list!
- Things your kids are trying to memorize. State Capitols? Math Facts? Bible Verses? (I initially got this idea from our church when they handed out expo markers to take home to write the memory verse on the bathroom mirror.)
- Reminders (for yourself, your spouse, your kids)
- Last November I wrote at the top “A to Z Reasons I’m Thankful for My Girls” and added a new thing every day to complete the alphabet. Then in December I found this on my mirror “A to Z Reasons We Love our Parents”. They only made it to “L” before they quit, but it was still fun to read their A to L ideas!
- My husband and I write secret messages on the mirror. Many times the messages leave our kids going “huh?”. Oh shared secrets are fun!
- Simple notes “Have a great day!” “I love you!” “Glad you are in my life!” “Thanks for….” “Good luck on your test today!”
- You could also begin a drawing, and each person can keep adding to it. Or start a story, and each person adds a new sentence.
Seriously, you can’t help but find a smile on your face when you walk in the bathroom and find something unexpected on the mirror! We tend to go thru spurts…write for awhile, take a break, then all of a sudden messages start appearing again. It’s been a lot of fun! I love the family interaction it’s encouraged too!
So go ahead, dig through your drawers, find some expo markers laying around, or go to the store and pick up some fun new colors today! Oh, and by the way, don’t forget to pick up an extra bottle of windex, as you are certain to need it! Expo Markers in the medicine cabinet…it’s a must!
Share this post