Written by Marykate Wurster, mother of three wonderful children, Gladwyne, Pa
My children intrigue me. There are haunting and perplexing things I want to understand, need to understand. I want to peel back the onion, unwind the spool of thread to reveal the coarse grainy wood cocooned within each of them.
Here are some of the things that tug at me, leave me questioning and silently riveted, desperate to know more:
1. Why do you speak in a British accents when playing family? Why does the Mother call her children dahling and is always going somewhere exotic leaving her children with the nanny? This does not represent me at all. I have a Philadelphia accent and seem to always be with my children. When I not with them I can usually be found in the check out line at the supermarket. Exotic would mean I was in the checkout line at Wegman’s.
2. Why do you stealthily take the gift cards at Starbucks and Radio Shack? You do realize they have no value, in other words, there is no money on them.
3. What is it about food coloring? Why not creamy white vanilla ice cream? Why “crazy vanilla” erupting with orange and blue, streaks of red, punches of purple?
4. How do you get yourself to cry on command like that? And don’t you ever feel a little bad about manipulating us like that?
5. And while on the subject why the hard time about things we do everyday? Everyday we dress, we brush our teeth, we put on shoes.
6. And why does the glitter girl t shirt with a paint stain tromp the oh so cute summer shift I picked out for you?
7. And do realize that you have us wrapped around your pinky finger? Do you really truly know that you are the cutest and most adorable creatures ever to enter our lives? This I know the answer to, of course, a resounding yes.
Share this post
You might like...
Category: Random and Fun