Happy Monday to you! This week we are celebrating National Read Across America Day, which occurs on Wednesday, March 2nd. We have quite a LOT of great stuff in store for you!
Just a quick sentence about National Read Across America Day: To celebrate the birthday of our beloved Dr. Seuss, the National Education Association (NEA) has set aside every March 2nd to inspire and promote reading among our children.
Isn’t that fabulous? A whole day just to celebrate reading.
Except here, where we make it a week!
And today we’re kicking off our celebration with a major giveaway!
Meet the LeapFrog TAG Reading System:
This contraption is one of my all-time favorites around our home.
Here’s how it works:
The TAG Reader has a small infrared camera which recognizes letters, numbers and pictures as your adorable touches the page.
Your adorables can choose to have the book read start to finish, by page, or just the words your emerging reader has trouble with. I also appreciate the phonics games at the end of each book which teach rhyming, beginning sounds, vowel sounds, etc.
If you think this replaces conventional reading, I confirm that it does not. It merely adds to the time your adorable spends with a book.
Here are some ways we use the TAG at home:
1) I keep our TAG Reader and TAG books right in the kitchen where they’re always accessible. It’s rare that a day goes by that my adorables haven’t used them at some point (and sometimes in #4, see below).
2) In the car, set up a tub of TAG books and the TAG Reader and you have a better movie alternative.
3) Set the timer for 15 minutes of quiet reading time while you’re cooking dinner, doing laundry etc. I can’t tell you how often the buzzer goes off signaling the end and my adorables don’t even notice and keep going.
4) Here’s a controversial one: when we have time-outs, I often hand the offending adorable the TAG and a couple of books. I’m not trying to punish them with books, I’m trying to refocus their energy and get my good adorable back. Since they enjoy reading and usually forget whatever behavior that got them there in the first place, I consider this a success. My mom still thinks I’m punishing them with books. What do you think?? I’m curious if I’m damaging my adorable’s love for reading.
**These photos were not taken during an actual time out. I don’t want to convict the innocent here…
Regardless, the TAG Reading System is terrific for increasing the amount of time your adorable’s spend with their books!
And you can win one…
One lucky, lucky winner can win a LeapFrog TAG Reading System simply by leaving a comment by Friday, March 4th. I’ll choose the winner using Random.org and announce it on Saturday.
Because I just LOVE comments, here’s how to gain extra entries (please leave them as separate entries):
1. Do you subscribe by email or RSS to The Good Stuff Guide? I love my subscribers, so you get an extra entry. Wahoo!
2. Email 5 of your friends about The Good Stuff Guide and tell them what a rockin’ website this is. We’d love to have them join us!
3. “Like” The Good Stuff Guide on Facebook and receive the latest news and your chance at additional giveaways. (I LIKE you too!)
Many thanks for LeapFrog for this fabulous giveaway!
Share this post